One of over 60 Fraunhofer institutes, the Fraunhofer Institute of Optronics, System Technologies and Image Exploitation (IOSB) in Ettlingen supports research in areas such as real-time image processing, pattern recognition, and performance optimization of electro-optical systems.
Fields of operation of the department Signatorics (SIG) include the performance optimization of electro-optical systems (from the ultraviolet to the infrared spectral range) within the atmospheric environment as well as the improvement and development of signature management measures.
The expertise of the department lies within the range of warning sensor technology, signature management und environmental limitations.
- Optimization of an Integrated Imaging Infrared Sensor Control System
Main focus of this work is on further development of the existing sensor system in hardware and software. Here, essential tasks are to test and improve the current hardware configuration (IR cameras, Laser range finder, GPS receiver) and if required to implement additional hardware.
Also, effort has to be put into the software domain. For several parts of the system specific optimizations are foreseen like re-designing the software GUI, improving the sensor control capabilities, or integrating improved image analysis algorithms.
- Control of a Pan-Tilt-Unit using GPS-based Object Tracking
Further development of the existing control software is the main part of this work. Particular emphasis is put upon adding the functionality for automated object tracking to the PTU. Therefore, the object position has to be estimated and predicted from transmitted discrete GPS and motion data by suitable filtering.
In addition, several enhancements to the general software capabilities will be realized, including a partial redesign of the software GUI, adjustment to an improved communication protocol, or visualization of the object`s position—both track and prediction—on a map.
What we expect from you
- You mayor in engineering or natural sciences
- You have some experience in programming Software apllications
- You are used to sensor Systems
- You display sound physical and mathematical understanding
- You are an experienced in LabView
- You work self-motivated, well organized
What you can expect from us
- You will find interesting tasks for a motivated creative mind, with a skilled team of R+D experts around you.
- Monthly working hours and time of work can be adjusted to your needs.
- Ettlingen is just a short tram ride south of Karlsruhe.
- Remuneration according to the general works agreement for employing assistant staff.
In case of identical qualifications, preference will be given to severely disabled candidates. The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is committed to providing equal career opportunities for men and women. This vacancy is also available on a part-time basis.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
Have we aroused your interest?
Then send us an email with all the necessary application documents (cover letter, CV, certificates).
If you have any questions or would like to send in your application, please contact: